Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Valley of the Mother-In-Laws


The next morning, the whole world looks different.  I can't believe Mason and I have decided to get married.  I never really thought I was the marrying kind...but apparently I am.
Everything is going to be thrown together quickly because I want to continue with my challenge, so I call my mom and Aunt Zoey and tell them to meet me downtown.


I leave Blair in charge of Jenny and Vanessa and head out.


My mom gets there first.
Mom: So what's the big secret?  Why did you need to meet us here?
Me: Don't you want to wait until Zoey gets here?
Mom: Oh, come on, you know I suck at waiting...what's the deal?
Me: I really want to wait for Aunt Z...
Mom raises one eyebrow and gives me a "I think I might already know what's going on" look...ugh...I hate when she does this to me!
Me: Ok, fine...I'll tell you...


Me: You know how Mason and I are together and everything...
Mom: Uh-huh...
Me: Well, last night...we were talking...and...he proposed.


My mom gives me her best girly squeal.  Geez, she's so excited, I think she might pounce on me.
Mom: Oh my gosh!  Seriously?  Eeeeeek!
Me: *laugh at her* I don't know why you're surprised, I thought y'all had it pegged that we would get together since we were kids.
Mom: I know...but I never thought you would actually get married!  Oh my gosh!  Wait til' Zoey finds out!
Me: Hold on a sec, I don't want any of your super psychic bff crap...I want to tell her, deal?
Mom: Ok, fine...so...do you know where you're having it?  What about the dress?  Do you want me to call the florist your sister used?  What about....?
Me: Whoa!  Mom!  Slow down!  Take a breath...geez...we're going to have something small and I want you and Aunt Z to help me pick out my dress today.
My mom honestly looks like a fairy...I have never seen the woman bounce this much in my life...and I swear, she's bouncing...like, pogo stick bouncing...it's weird.
Me: You are totally wigging me out...I hope Aunt Z has a chill pill she can lend you when she gets here.


My mom grabs me and pulls me into a hug, which is a feat considering she is so jumpy...dang, she must have it the coffee shop before she got here...
Mom: I'm sorry honey, I'm just so excited!  I never thought I would be helping you plan your wedding...
Oh Lord, no...I know where this is going...
Me: Ok, calm down...
But it's too late...the water works have started...
Me: Mo-om...don't cry, please...
Mom: I'm sorry...I'm just...so happy...*sob, sob, sniffle*

Then, I see Aunt Z and Mom takes a walk around the building to gain some composure.
I wave Aunt Z over.
Zoey: Where is your mom going?
Me: She just needs a minute...so...I have something I need to tell you...
Zoey: Uh-oh...
Me: No, it's not an uh-oh situation...


Mom walks up behind me, sits on the park bench and pretends to read...yeah, subtle.
Me: It's actually about Mason and me...
Zoey: You all didn't have a fight, did you?
Me: No...


Me: Well...I hope you know how much we really love each other...
Zoey: I know...
Me: And it might seem like we're rushing into this, but we're really not...
Zoey: *gives me a look* you two have been on the brink of getting together since you first got out of diapers, I don't think you have rushed into anything...


Me:  Well...that's good...because we were talking last night and...he proposed!


A big smile came across her face.
Zoey: I figured that...
Me: You did?
Zoey: Either that or you were pregnant...
Me: Well, that's kind of the next part....
I tell her all about our plans to have the last eight children of the challenge together.
Zoey: Hmm, wait a minute...does that mean I'm going to have 100 grandchildren?  Crap...I guess it's Christmas at the Goodwill from now on...
I laugh.
Me: Ok, well...now that you both know, time to get down to business.


Mom jumps up and starts rambling again...
Mom: I've been thinking...how about a chocolate fondue waterfall...with some strawberries and other stuff to dip into it...
Me: Um...no.
Mom: But it would be so pretty...
Me: Yeah...no.


Me: I want this to be small, low-key, sort of casual...
Mom: What are you going to wear?
Me: Well, that's what I need you two for...I need to pick out a dress, and my hairstyle...and my makeup...and I need your help...I want to get all this done quickly.
Zoey: She's your daughter...
Me: What do you mean?
Zoey: Your mother didn't waste any time after meeting your dad either...
Mom: I beg to differ, we dated for quite a while before deciding to get married...
Zoey: Yeah, but how long after you were engaged did you get married?
Mom: I don't remember...
Zoey: Did the ring even have time to get cold on your finger?
Mom: Oh, hush...so we Keagan women don't believe in long engagements...
Zoey: Uh-huh...
Me: Any-way...geez, you two are worse than my kids...ok...so the task at hand...finding me a dress.


Mom: I know the perfect little boutique...
Zoey: You know dresses really aren't my thing...
Me: No way you're getting out of this, Aunt Z...I need your opinion...and I need you to rein Mom in a little bit.
Seeing my mother officially off in her own little world, most likely where ribbons, lace, and chiffon lives, Zoey agrees to come with us.

So, a-dress-shopping we will go...

4 comments:

  1. Those last few sentences were my favourite! I can't wait for the wedding!

    -Skye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see Hadley's wedding dress!! The conversations she had with her mom and Aunt Z were so funny! I'm glad Hadley's going to have the last of her kids with Mason. I'm excited to see what Mason and Hadley kids will look like.

    ~Catlover800 aka Calista Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) All I can do is smile. This is so great!

    ReplyDelete