Thursday, December 22, 2011

There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays

****AUTHOR'S NOTE: This entry contains many challenge mothers, but not everyone, if you're not in this entry, don't worry, you will be in one of the next ones!*****


Walking up to Evie's front porch, I am hoping that she will seriously consider my offer.  I know there's a high possibility that she will be offended...but I have to try.  I feel like this is something I can actually do for her and I am willing to do it.  When she opens the door, she looks much more put together...almost the same ole Evie.
Me: Hey!  How's it going?
Evie: I'm doing ok today...thanks for helping me off the ledge a little bit last night...I know I was being crazy...it's just...
Me: No...I completely understand...that's upsetting news.
Evie: Yeah...it is...but I'm doing a little better...I'm going to have to try to get over this...I guess motherhood just isn't in the cards for me...



Me: I wouldn't say that...you can always adopt...or something...
Evie: I suppose...maybe.
Me: Hey Ev, think we can go sit down and talk?
Evie: Yeah, sure...

When we sit down, I still have trouble starting the conversation.  Of course, being my best friend, Evie can tell something is wrong.
Evie: What's up with you?
Me: Nothing...
Evie: Liar...seriously, what's going on?



Me: Ok, I don't know how to bring this up, so I'm just going to say it...I wanted to tell you...that if you and Tony would agree to it, I would be honored if you would let me be a surrogate for the two of you.



Uh-oh...this isn't a good look...
I gulp and prepare myself...
Evie: Hadley...
Me: I don't want to make it look like I'm rubbing it in your face, but honestly, I know you would make a wonderful mother...and I want to be able to give you this...consider it my Christmas present to you or something...

Evie: *laughs* I don't suppose you'd be able to give me a gift receipt, huh?
I smile.  Maybe she'll agree...
Me: Is that a yes?
Evie: Hadley, I don't know...I'm not offended, really...it's just...so much to ask of you.  I can't do that.



Me: Evie, I'm going to say this as nicely as possible...but spare me the bullshit.
Evie: What are you talking about?
Me: Spare me all that "this is too much" crap...I would do anything for you, Ev...and I know you would do anything for me.  I know when most people say that they don't really mean it, but we aren't most people.



Evie: Okay.
Me: Okay what?
Evie: I would love for you to be our surrogate.
Me: Awesome...now that we have that settled...I know I'll carry the baby, but do you need an egg?  Or sperm?  You know, Mason could donate sperm...as long as we don't use your egg...that would be weird...
Evie is laughing at me, and  I know it's because I'm rambling without just letting her tell me what's going on, so I shut up.
Evie: The doctor told me that my eggs and Tony's sperm are fine, I just can't carry a baby long enough...so...we really just need a...
Me: An oven?
Evie: Basically, yeah.
Me: Cool, I can do that.

So we decide a course of action, first being to tell Tony what's going on, then we're off to the doctor.



When we stand up to go, Evie is smiling...she hasn't smiled like that in a very long time...I know everything has to work out.

So I'll spare you all the clinical crap, but we got everything going at the doctor and now we just have to wait to see if I'm pregnant...stupid lullabies haven't learned to ding in a hospital setting, I guess.  ;)

***

A little bit later, I get a phone call from...well, it's actually from a bunch of women talking at the same time...telling me to get to the park...um...ok...sure...

When I get there, I see the source of  all the noise...the likes of which Butterfly Acres has never before seen...there are challenge mothers in town!



When I get there, this purple-haired beauty runs up to me...we've never met in person, but I would know her anywhere.



It's Laura Johanson!  She is pretty new on the scene, and has been through a whole lot lately, so I'm actually surprised to see her.
"Are you kidding me?  I wouldn't miss this for anything!" she replies when I tell her that.
"Butterfly Acres?  I'm pretty sure you won't miss a thing even if you nap the entire time you're here." I say.
She laughs and replies, "yeah, right...you're not fooling anyone, girl."
"Uh-huh, you'll see...so anyway, did you bring that new man of yours?" I ask, looking around.
She laughs again, "Are you kidding me?  Around all these women?  No way!"



Standing next to me is Melody Sky.  She and I have met before on a couple different occasions, but of course it's always wonderful to see her.  She has had to do this challenge because of a curse on a house her dad left her...and she has a crazy aunt too...not to mention her daughter Jenna just started a challenge of her own in Hidden Springs (apparently women there are dying...glad I wasn't there long!)...whew...yeah, I guess we all have crazy families!  LOL




As I'm still talking to Laura, I spot Destiny Rose walk over to Melody.  She just finished  her challenge and is engaged to a great guy named Alex.  She is still writing about their life on a blog called The Rose Family Challenge.
Destiny: Hey, Melody...don't be obvious, but look behind me, sitting on the checkered blanket, eating...alone...
Melody: Oh my!  That's...
Destiny: Yup...
Melody: I wonder if the self-seclusion is out of necessity or more of a lifestyle choice...



I look over to see what they're talking about and there sits Ryan Smith, my ex-boyfriend, eating lunch alone.
Me: Yeah, he pretty much avoids me...I guess once you get a kick to the ego, it's hard to come back.
Destiny: Hmm, maybe he could use some help getting back on the horse, as they say...
Me: Yeah, I think they make love connection reality tv shows for that. (Shameless plug for Ryan's new blog!)
But enough about him...I keep seeing MORE challenge moms!



Nikki Rodgers makes her way over to the crowd!  She's still going strong in her challenge.



Speak of the devil!  Jenna Sky has made the trip with her mother!



Violet Chrysler has even taken time out from planning her wedding to come for a visit!  I was just visiting her earlier to help her choose a dress..I can't wait to see how it all turns out!



They tell me that a lot of them are here, but couldn't make it just yet, I just have to keep my eyes peeled because I will see them all eventually!  I really can't wait!



Of course, much like where there's smoke, there's fire...where there's baby challenge mothers, there's paparazzi...so this dude starts gawking and snapping pictures...grr...



Melody and I start talking and she catches me up on everything going on with her and with Jenna before they all have to go get settled and I have to head home anyway to get ready for a Christmas party my sister is having.

When I get home, Naomi just about knocks me down.
"Mom, I've been waiting for you to come home...um...Mom...do you want me to get you anything?  Maybe some tea...or coffee?  Want some coffee?"
Something is fishy, "Hmm, you're being awfully overly thoughtful, my dear.  Could there be something you want?"  I  ask.
"Well...um...there's um..." she stutters.
"Go ahead and tell me," I coax, mostly because I need to get everyone ready for Lila's.
"Well, Daddy said it was ok with him as long as it was ok with you..." she starts.

I cringe.  There's a good chance he said that because he was fairly certain my answer was going to be no and he doesn't want to break his little girl's heart...

I sigh, "What is it?"
Naomi takes a deep breath and replies, "A dog."
"Naomi...why can't you go to Grams and play with her dogs?"
"This one has been around the house for a long time...and she's scared...and alone..."
I make the mistake of looking into my daughters eyes as she tells me all about this poor little animal.  Damn it.  She may as well be Sarah Mclachlan singing that damn Angels song.

"Where is she?" I ask.
"Outside...she likes being out there more..." she says.
I sigh again, "Go upstairs and get ready for Aunt Lila's and I'll go see about the dog.
Naomi squeals in my ear and hugs me, "Thank you Mommy!"
"It's just a maybe." I call after her as she runs up the stairs, but she doesn't hear me.



When I go outside, I see the dog she's talking about.  She's been in the neighborhood for awhile, but I don't think she has owners.  Great.
"Hey there, girl," I greet her.
She gets up, stretches, and yawns.  She certainly doesn't seem mean.



She certainly looks pitiful.  She's skinny and a little dirty...she certainly does need a good home...
Because we don't have any dog food in the house, I go inside and fry up some chicken for her and put it in a bowl for her.  I don't really have time for anything else, because we need to go to Lila's.
"Okay girl, you can stay, but you're in charge while we're gone." I tell her.



After looking at my watch and realizing we're running late, and not seeing any fully dressed bodies in front of me, I get a bit peeved, "Hop to it, everyone!  We've got to get to Aunt Lila's!"
My sister just lives next door, but I know if I don't harp on everyone, no one will ever be ready to go.

I head upstairs to see where Mason is.
He and the boys are standing in the hallway together, all dressed in the outfits I picked for them.
As soon as Mason sees me he glares, "Baby, really?"
"What?  You all look handsome." I reply.
"I'm not going in this," Lucky says.
I feel my canines elongate, but try to remain calm, "You're going...in that...and that's final."
"We look ridiculous." Lucas says.
I change my tactics, "You look fine, but if you had concerns you should have brought them up yesterday, not right before we leave."

Realizing they're not going to win, they head downstairs.
We meet up with Naomi already halfway to Lila's.  She starts giggling.
"What are you laughing at babe?" I ask.
"Daddy, Lucky, and Lucas look like triplets."
I just laugh.



Mason doesn't find it very funny though.  He turns around and stares at me as if to say, "See?"
"Don't look at me like that, it's not like I made you wear matching reindeer sweaters."



"I think those would have been better than looking like a bunch of douche bags with matching outfits on," I hear Lucky whisper to Lucas.
I roll my eyes, "I don't want to hear it...let's just go in there and don't stand next to each other...geez."




When we get inside, the first thing I notice is that it's really dark.
"Is this a mystery dinner party or something?" I ask Brad, my brother-in-law.
"No," he tells me, "We blew the breaker trying to put up Christmas lights.  It should be fixed soon.
I look outside and see a whole group of men trying to prove their manliness...my dad, my brother, and the only one who might know what he's doing...Uncle T-Bone.
I sigh and go back in.

I see Nikki Rodgers again, talking to Tony.  Naomi runs up to her and starts talking a mile a minute.

I smile and head past her toward the kitchen where I hope there's food...I am starving.

Lila comes running toward me just then in a panic.
"Hey, Hadley, do you know how to fix a turkey?" she asks.
I glare, "Does this mean there's no food?"
"Only if you tell me no." she says.
"Where's mom?  Isn't she usually the one to do those things?" I ask.
"She's around here somewhere, but I don't want to ask her, she's having a good time," she says.
"But it's ok to ask me?" I ask, "And how are we going to cook a turkey without electricity?"
"It's gas." she replies.
Damn it.
"Come on, Sis...I'll owe you one." she says and gives me pitiful puppy dog eyes...at least I know where Naomi gets them now.



So I agree to fix dinner...mostly because that's the only way I'm going to eat.



In the middle of cooking, I hear Lila shriek.
"Lucky Reed Pope...are you booby-trapping my sink?" she asks.
I'm guessing that's a yes.
She yells down to me, "Hadley, your son is booby-trapping my sink!"
I roll my eyes and yell back up to her, "I can only deal with one turkey at a time Li!"
"I got him babe," Mason yells from God-knows-where.

"Lucky!" I hear Mason pull out his strong, authoritative voice and go a little weak in the knees.
I have no idea why that voice always reminds me of how hot my husband is.  Yes, I get turned on when my husband yells at our children...don't judge me.



Then I put the turkey in the oven...
"So here I am, socializing with a real turkey at a Christmas party," I say to myself sarcastically.



Everyone else is having a much better time.  Mason is actually talking with Catherine Bell-Barker, another challenge mom.  She is another married challenge mother, and a fan of the hyphen as well, I have noticed!
I hear them talking about teenagers.  Her daughter Heaven came with her on the trip.  Lord, help me.  I have two sons that I'm sure will be fighting over her!

Finally, the turkey is done and I call everyone to dinner before grabbing a plate and sitting down.



Naomi walks in, passes up the turkey and gets into the fridge.
"Hold it!" I tell her, "What are you doing?"
"Getting cereal," she tells me.
"Oh no you don't," I say, "Get a plate of turkey.  It's good for you."



She turns around and gives me this look before she starts whining.
"But I don't like turkey," she says.
"Nobody likes turkey, honey, just smother it in gravy and mashed potatoes like everyone else," my mother says, overhearing our conversation, "here sweetie, let Grams get you a plate."
I hear just a little bit of grumbling from her, but she takes the plate my mom fixes for her and heads to the table.  I smile.  I still don't know how my mother manages to parent without yelling...

"You're pretty," I hear Naomi say.  Knowing she can't be talking to me, I turn around...



...and standing there is Amari Smith!  I really didn't expect to see her here!  She has had it really rough and is doing the baby challenge because her father pissed off a female vampire some hundred years ago and...well, I would tell you about it, but it's very long and complicated, and she tells it better anyway, so go check out her blog!  Actually, even though she has all that going on, she also has a husband that is dying of cancer right now..hmm, maybe she just needed a little vacay from everything.  At any rate, I'm very glad to see her!

Lucas comes in at that time as well.
"Dinner's ready, Luke." I tell him.
"Mom, can I have some cereal or something?" he asks, "I'm not a big fan of turkey."
I just turn and glare until he gets a plate of turkey.



Thankfully, my wonderful husband jumps at the chance to eat the dinner I prepared.



"Drop that dish, missy!" I tell Amari when I see her doing dishes.
"It's really no big deal, Hadley," she says.
"Uh-uh, you don't worry about all that when you're visiting me," I tell her.
She laughs, "I'm used to it...I have nothing but men in the house right now, remember?"
"Ugh, oh yeah, I would say you could take Naomi with you, but she's not much better."
"Well, you never know," she says, "maybe this new baby will be a girl."



As we're talking, the men get the lights working!  Woo-hoo!



Amari and I talk a little more but then all of a sudden my stomach goes sour.
Amari notices the look on my face.
"Are you okay?" she asks.
"Yeah, I think so," I tell her, "maybe the invitro worked."
"Invitro?  Huh?" she looks confused...rightfully so...I know I'm supposed to be done with my challenge.
"Oh, yeah...it's for my friend Evie," I tell her.



As we're talking, Catherine walks in and looks at the turkey.
"Take it from a chubby girl, you're supposed to eat it, honey!" I tell her jokingly.
"Haha," she replies as she gets a plate.



As everyone gets done eating, I catch Evie talking to Nikki.  I think I hear Nikki giving her parenting advice. I smile.  I really hope I'm pregnant.



It's either that, or I'm getting sick...please, please let me be pregnant!

*****Thank you so much to everyone who agreed to let me use their characters, I am really enjoying seeing them pop up all over the place!  If you're not in this one, you will be in one to follow...promise!*****

6 comments:

  1. I loved seeing all the challenge mother's coming together! There are so many!

    It's so sweet of Hadley to be a surrogate for Evie. That's what friends are for, I suppose. *sigh*

    ~Calista Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOT!!! I love that Evie agreed to let her be surrogate! :) I really REALLY hope that this baby makes it!

    I loved seeing Catherine in here, and that Heaven was in it being fought over by handsome men ;) rawr. he he he

    ANOTHER great post, as always! <3 keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really cool seeing Violet in your post. Awesome! Loved it, Hadley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! So glad Evie agreed! That is going to be the best present ever. Maybe they will get twins. That would be awesome!

    Loved the party. Yes Amari did need a vacation from her crazy life. Thanks for inviting her!

    Can't wait to see the babies.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! I'm happy Evie agreed to let Hadley be her surrogate. Evie will be an awesome mom.

    It's so weird seeing Laura in other blogs. (Not bad weird, but good weird, you know?) I think Tom would be scared around all of those beautiful mommas... (Or try hitting on them since he has the flirty trait. xD But I doubt it.)

    I loved the bit about the turkey and cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cat: Yay! I loved having them in the blog...and you're right, there are a ton of them now!

    @Catherine: Thanks! I'm glad you like it and suggested that I put Heaven in...that made for a cute storyline!

    @Violet: Thanks for letting me put her in here!

    @jazen: Thanks! I'm glad you liked seeing her here...Merry Christmas to you too!

    @Amanda: I hear ya, LOL...it was weird with Hadley at first too...hahaha...having Tom in here would have been hilarious! There were so many women, I don't think the game knew what to do!
    I'm glad you liked the kids not wanting turkey...that was all inspired by in-game events...Hadley cooked this gorgeous turkey, had already set it on the counter, and first Naomi walked right past it and tried to get cereal, then Lucas walked past it to get cereal! I was like, WTH ya little twerps! LOL

    ReplyDelete