Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Motivation Behind Ryan: In His Defense


As I started replying to everyone's comments about Ryan, I noticed I had a whole lot more to say about him than I expected to, so I thought I would just write a little blog explaining how I see his character.
First off, a big thank you and shout out to Maple/Claire for making Ryan in the first place...I honestly didn't know where I was going to go with him, but I'm glad she gave me this dude to work with!

So here's the thing about Ryan:  I actually really like him.  To me, he's just a "normal guy."  I don't see him as necessarily bad, and I think all his flip-flopping is because he genuinely wants to be okay with the challenge thing, so he continues to try.  Honestly, I admire him a lot for his dedication in trying to make it work.  The whole story line is kind of a metaphor for relationships as I see them.  Every relationship has baggage and when two people get together, they have to work around each other's baggage.  Hadley's got a couple different things going on - 1) the challenge and 2) her general distrust of relationships and men.  So she's got a lot of baggage...so Ryan kind of represents the "real guy."  Any real guy that I know would have major issue with his girlfriend birthing all these babies...not to mention that he's got the Mason competition...even though that really hasn't even been something he and Hadley argue about because the challenge thing is such a big deal...

As far as the entry with him sitting on his butt the whole day while Hadley worked...I just wrote that in because that's what his character did while I was playing and I just thought it was funny...not to mention that a lot of men I know would rather take a bullet than do housework or help with children...so that's kind of where I was going with that...

So basically I just wanted to clarify that Ryan isn't a bad guy, he's just misunderstood!  Hehe...ok, I had to say it...I hope this helped.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't think him to be a bad guy, he's just not the guy for Hadley. I don't know any guy that would be like yeah sure have tons of babies with random dudes, no problem. LOL

    He is a real guy but he needs to be with a more normal girl and Hadley isn't the one for him.

    He does get brownie points for trying even if he is a little wishy washy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jazen said it all! I never really hated him, I just don't like him as much as Mason. It was cool reading about his side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i knew he wasnt a bad guy, but real men are!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I can't say anything without revealing too much! Ahhh...

    Anyway...thanks for commenting guys! I'm glad you all see where Ryan's coming from now!

    ReplyDelete