Monday, October 15, 2012

Gen. 2: Everyone Has Skeletons In Their Closet...


BONNIE: I love you too.

I can't believe he told me he loves me!  And I can't believe I said it back...but I honestly think I love him too.  This weekend has been magical and it only keeps getting better.

With those words, we go to bed...and don't sleep.

The next morning, I wake up in his arms and couldn't be happier.


BONNIE: So, what's on the agenda for today?
BRENDAN: Well, since we got out of bed...I say...let's get right back in bed...
BONNIE: Hmm, I'm definitely down with that...but how about some breakfast...do you have any eggs?  I can whip up some pancakes or waffles...
BRENDAN: No way!  You're not lifting a finger while you're on vacation...how about I take you out for breakfast?
BONNIE: Hmm, I can do that.

So we get dressed and start to head out...


As we get to the door, his phone rings.

BRENDAN: Hello?  Oh hey...yeah, I'm back in town.  What?  Right now?  Can it wait?  I have a guest...no, okay, I understand.

He gets off the phone looking grim.

BONNIE: What's the matter?
BRENDAN: I'm sorry babe, but I have to go into work...
BONNIE: Right now?  They can't go without you for a little bit longer?
BRENDAN: No, I'm sorry...
BONNIE: But I'm going home tomorrow...
BRENDAN: I know, I promise I'll be home in time for dinner.  I'll take you out somewhere nice...I'm sorry, it's just...my boss just got into town and insists on hearing my report.
BONNIE: *sigh*

Brendan takes me in his arms and kisses my forehead.

BRENDAN: I'm so sorry baby, I'll make it up to you tonight, I swear.
BONNIE: You better really mean that.
BRENDAN: I do...I promise.

He leaves in a hurry, after a kiss and a quick I love you.

Unfortunately, there isn't much to do in his house.  He has a computer and a TV, but we all know how I feel about those things...so I read for a little bit, begrudgingly flip through the TV, and call the kids.  Everything is going fine there, which is good.

I debate going out on my own, maybe looking to see what kind of houses they have for sale here, but I am sure I will get lost and I don't even know this address to get back here.

No, staying put is probably the best idea...so I do the only thing I know how to do...I clean.

I know, pathetic, right?  Eh, it's what I do.

Thankfully it takes me all day and I even whip up some goopy carbonara for dinner.

When Brendan comes through the door, he is floored.

BRENDAN: Baby, what did you do?
BONNIE: Do you like it?
BRENDAN: It smells clean in here...and...there's a food smell...oh, wow, you didn't...
BONNIE: Surprise!  Let me get you a plate...


Ever the bachelor, Brendan doesn't have a dining room table, so we eat dinner on the couch in front of the TV.

BRENDAN: Baby, this is amazing!  
BONNIE: Don't mention it.


BRENDAN: And the house...when did you have time to do all this?
BONNIE: While you were working, silly...
BRENDAN: I feel so bad...how am I going to make it up to you?
BONNIE: Oh, don't worry, you'll find a way...I can give you some ideas...
BRENDAN: Oooh...

We are interrupted by the sound of Brendan's door opening and closing followed by a voice...a female voice....


I walk into the kitchen and see a tall, beautiful woman with jet black hair, dressed to the nines.

FEMALE VOICE: Hello?  Brendan, honey, are you home?

Brendan honey?  What?


To beat it all, Brendan looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

Before I can ask him who this chick is, she comes up behind him.

HOT CHICK: There you are!  


She pulls him into a hug...a very friendly hug if you ask me.  Who is this chick?
And he seems to be hugging her back, just as tight.

I duck back into the living room before she can see me.



I can't believe I was so stupid!  Here I am, spending the weekend with a guy I barely know, telling him I love him...putting my heart on the line...

BRENDAN: Bonnie?

He interrupts my thoughts.  I will not cry in front of him, I will not cry.  I can't.

BONNIE: What?

That sounds pathetic...or pissed off...I can't tell which.


BRENDAN: Bonnie, I'm sorry...I know what this must look like...
BONNIE: Probably whatever it is...
BRENDAN: No, it's not...she's nothing to me...well, not anymore.  She's my ex-girlfriend.  I don't know why she's here...I'll try to get her to leave.
BONNIE: You can't just tell her to leave?
BRENDAN: It's complicated...
BONNIE: Why?  It seems pretty simple to me.


BRENDAN: Bonnie, please...I can't ask her to leave.
BONNIE: Why not?
BRENDAN: She's my boss's daughter.

Well, isn't this just dandy.  

DADDY'S LITTLE SKANK: Well, who's your little friend?

Little friend?

BRENDAN: Gia, this is Bonnie...she's...um...we're seeing each other.

Gia?  What the hell kinda name is Gia?
To her credit, she looks slightly shocked.  I'm trying to decide whether I should stake my claim to Brendan...I don't know, either mark him or pee a circle around him...or if Gia and I should team up against him and kick his ass.

Looking at her, I find it difficult to imagine we would ever be on the same side.

GIA: Oh...well, what a pleasant surprise.  I wasn't aware that you were seeing anyone, Brendan.
BRENDAN: *stutter, stammer* It all happened kind of fast...

With just about every ounce of sincerety I'm sure she could muster, she walks up to me and takes my hands and kisses me on the cheek.

GIA: It's a pleasure to meet you.  Brendan is a great guy.

She lets go of my hands and turns to Brendan.
GIA: Congratulations.  She seems charming.

Hmph.  Well, I'm glad I met with her approval.  Unfortunately, my grandmother's voice comes into my head spouting something about guests in your home and I remember my manners.

BONNIE: *warm, fake smile* We were just finishing with dinner, can I offer you a plate?
GIA: *condesending laugh* Oh, I can't possibly eat.

Of course you can't, anorexic b--
BONNIE: How about something to drink then?  I'm sure Brendan can make a pot of coffee or tea...
GIA: A mineral water would be wonderful.  Brendan, I'm sure you still have some in your fridge?
BRENDAN: I'll go get you one.


Brendan takes off like a little lap dog.  I kind of feel sorry for him.  I know this is an awkward situation he's in, but I can't help but be pissed off at him that he didn't at least mention this woman before now.

Gia and I sit down on the couch and start to engage in some forced awkward conversation.

GIA: Tell me, how long have you and Brendan been seeing each other?
BONNIE: Um...I don't know...a few weeks...
GIA: Are you from the area?  What's your family name?
BONNIE: Reed...and no, I'm not from here.  We met in Legacy Island.  That's where I'm living now.
GIA: Is that where your family is from?
BONNIE: No...um...my mother is from Butterfly Acres.
GIA: Oh, how quaint.  And your father?
BONNIE: He's from Sunset Valley, I believe.
GIA: Ah, so you're not close with your father?
BONNIE: No.
GIA: I can't imagine not having my father in my life.


BONNIE: Oh, I have plenty of family in my life...
GIA: I'm sure.

Ugh.  I've just met this woman and I hate her already.

After some more awkward conversation, Gia leaves and I pack my bag to head home.

Instead of taking a long drive back, Brendan puts me on a red eye flight back to Legacy Island with promises of returning there as soon as he can.

Thinking about everything, it might be a good idea to make a permanent move to Lucky Palms.

No comments:

Post a Comment